Final report with recommendations will be provided by July 1, 2014.
Philadelphia, October 31, 2013 – Mayor Michael A. Nutter announced the creation of the Special Independent Advisory Commission to review and evaluate the Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) through Executive Order No. 6-13. The purpose of the Commission is to review and evaluate L&I’s past and current operations, organizational structure, staffing and requirements, budget, use of technology and the City’s fine structure for violations of the City Code. The Commission will also review the events of the June 5, 2013 building collapse with an emphasis on the workflow process and practice of the Department in connection with the tragedy. A final report is due by July 1, 2014.
“This Special Commission will take an in-depth and independent look at the Department of Licenses and Inspections,” said Mayor Nutter. “As Mayor, I want to ensure that all of our departments are performing to the highest standard, and this Commission will provide a detailed analysis on L&I’s practices and procedures as well as recommendations for improvement. I want to thank the Commission members for choosing to serve the public in this capacity.”
The Commission will be led by Chair Glenn P. Corbett, an Associate Professor of Fire Science at John Jay College of Criminal Justice/City University of New York, and Executive Director Peter Vaira, an attorney at Vaira & Riley, PC. Other Commission members have been selected based on their expertise in the relevant subject areas or their interest as a stakeholder regarding the provision of such services. The Commission includes the following people:
- Emily Bittenbender, Managing Partner, Bittenbender Construction
- Ryan Boyer, Business Manager, Laborer’s District Council of Philadelphia and Vicinity
- Robert Brehm, Associate Teaching Professor, Drexel University
- Lorraine H. Brown, Ph.D., Chairman and CEO, The Temple Group, Inc.
- Jim Dollard, Safety Director, IBEW Local 98
- Anne Fadullon, Incoming President, Building Industry Association of Philadelphia
- Scott Knowles, Director, Great Works Symposium and Associate Professor, Drexel University
- Steven S. Lakin, Executive Managing Director, General Building Contractors Association, Inc.
- Angelo Perryman, President and CEO, Perryman Building and Construction Services
- Councilwoman Maria Quiñones-Sanchez, 7th Councilmanic District
- Gregory C. Stewart, Vice President, Gilbane Building Company
- Francis Vargas, Project Manager, Allied Construction Services
- Ex-Officio Members are:
- John Elfrey, Director of Operations, Mayor’s Office of Transportation and Utilities
- David Perri, Streets Commissioner
- Barry Scott, Risk Manager, Office of Risk Management
L&I Commissioner Carlton Williams said, “The Department of Licenses and Inspections welcomes the opportunity to partner with the Special Independent Commission to conduct a full assessment of our practices and operations. We look forward to collaborating with this distinguished panel on additional meaningful reform to help ensure the safety of all Philadelphians.”