Mayor Michael A. Nutter announced the creation of the Mayor’s Task Force on Paid Sick Leave with mayoral appointees selected based on their professional expertise and stakeholder interest. The Task Force is charged with conducting a complete, thorough and balanced review of paid sick leave policies and their likely impacts on employers and employees. The Task Force will submit a final report with recommendations to the Mayor and City Council by December 1, 2014.
“Paid sick leave is a complicated policy question that profoundly impacts employees and employers,” said Mayor Nutter. “The Mayor’s Task Force on Paid Sick Leave, which is composed of distinguished professionals in their respective fields, will present my office and City Council with a comprehensive report that evaluates, analyzes and provides recommendations regarding paid sick leave in Philadelphia and their potential impact on employers and employees. It is critical that we thoroughly evaluate this issue in order to continue to strengthen our business climate while ensuring the health and well-being of employees.”
Councilman William Greenlee said, “I appreciate the Mayor’s effort in creating this Task Force. I will continue, as I have for the last four years, to work to provide decent working conditions for 200,000 workers in Philadelphia who lack paid sick days so they do not have to choose between taking a day off to care for themselves or a sick family member and their job.”
The Mayor’s Task Force on Paid Sick Leave will be considering the following areas:
· The economic impact of paid sick leave on employers and businesses as well as the likely impact on hiring and workforce management;
· The impact of sick leave policies on covered employees and their families; and
· The citywide impact on business climate and public health.
The co-chairs of the Task Force are Lisa Crutchfield, Senior Vice President of Advocacy and Public Affairs at the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce, and Natalie Levkovich, Executive Director of the Health Federation of Philadelphia.
The other members of the Paid Sick Leave Task Force are:
· Chiona Azi, African Cultural Alliance of North America
· Marianne Bellesorte, Pathways PA
· Dan Calista, Vynamic
· Peter Cappelli, Center for Human Resources at the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School
· Pete Ellis, El Fuego
· Dewetta Logan, Smart Beginnings Early Learning Center
· Dr. Scott McNeal, North Philadelphia Health System and Delaware Valley Community Center
· Luis Mora, FINTANA
· Teofilo Reyes, Restaurant Opportunities Center United
· Elliot Rosario, Wash Cycle Laundry
· Narasimha Shenoy, Asian American Chamber of Commerce of Greater Philadelphia
· Ellen Somekawa, Asian Americans United
· Joanne Zeas, Temple University
All task force members will serve without compensation.